Bio-One of Asheville decontamination and biohazard cleaning services

Automotive Mold Removal - What You Need to Know


If your car has a moldy or mildew-like smell, you’ll want to take care of the problem quickly, especially when living in a humid area. Warning signs can include a smell like sour milk or discoloration on the seats and carpet. It can also become a health hazard and cause permanent damage to your vehicle. 

What are your options? Will I get sick? Can you clean the mold in your vehicle yourself? Should you hire a pro to remediate the mold? Where do I even begin?

We're here to help! As certified mold experts in western North Carolina and the South Carolina upstate, we've answered popular questions below. But if you need more information, you are always welcome to call us at 828-407-0454. 

Why does mold grow in a vehicle?

The climates in upstate South Carolina and western North Carolina - damp conditions mixed with a warm environment - are a recipe for mold. And these conditions can easily be created in your car if you leave your window cracked or your sunroof open on a rainy day, or even spill some liquid on the floor. 

It only takes a small amount of moisture for mold to grow and it can only take a few days to colonize, but once you have mold in your car, it can be a real pain to get rid of and has the potential to ruin your car’s interior.

Can you get sick from mold in your car?

Allergic reactions to mold are common and they can be immediate or delayed. According to, "Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions) and irritants. Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash."

If you or a loved one experience even mild symptoms, our Bio-One team encourages you to remediate the mold in the vehicle before operating it again.

What can you expect from a certified Mold Professional?

Depending on the severity of the mold you may want to try your hand at remediating the mold yourself, or calling in a certified professions, such as Bio-One of Asheville. We always encourage our customers to give Bio-One a call for a free estimate.

Here's what you can expect from a certified mold professional:

  • Proper safety gear should be worn when dealing with mold. A high quality, high filtration face mask is a must (COVID-19 cloth masks will not protect from mold spores), as are vinyl or neoprene gloves.
  • Mold professionals use expensive, professional equipment such as HEPA air scrubbers, HEPA vacuums, commercial-strength dehumidifiers, etc. Regular handymen won’t have that stuff.
  • When vacuuming and using air scrubbers for mold remediation, the filters used should be HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air). Only HEPA filters are designed to capture particles as small as mold spores. Regular filters will not work and could make the problem worse.
  • Mold professionals will use an antimicrobial chemical to clean any remaining mold and mold stains.

To sum it all up, hiring a mold professional, like Bio-One doesn’t have to be as confusing as you may think. The good ones won’t push unnecessary work, will charge reasonable prices, are able to clearly explain what work they will be doing, use professional practices  & equipment, and have lots of experience.

Contact Bio-One for a free inspection and estimate for mold remediation and/or crawl space encapsulation. Bio-One Asheville serves western North Carolina and the upstate South Carolina.